9   245
21   374
9   322
9   397
12   299
13   363

Developing my personal style

I always go through these phases where I’m determined to be different; I want to stand out and have pieces that nobody else has. And then I see a pair of boots that are totally on trend from Missguided and they are destined to be mine. I’ve come to realise that standing out in terms of fashion isn’t entirely related to the items you have, but how you style them, which is something I desperately need to improve on.

I’m not very bold at all with what I wear – I would consider my red boots to be a risk and it took me a few weeks to wear my balloon sleeve jumper to work. I don’t have that ‘fashion blogger’ style that makes people go “wow, I wish I could pull that off!”, like Little Magpie or Bex Robb. I spend hours on their instagram feeds wishing I had their confidence and posing skills (see: instagram ain’t real life), blissfuly unaware that if I took risks and bought things I didn’t necessarily believe to be ‘my style’, my issue would be solved.

2018 will be the year that I take more fashion risks and try to enter into the scary fashion blogger world.

I tend to go for very simple pieces that I can pair with a lot of things – such as a jumper, or a t-shirt with plain jeans. Nowadays, I opt for comfort or warmth over style. In the heights of winter, I wore 2 jackets and looked like a right tool, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do to keep her body temp up. If my shoes rub, I will tuck my jeans into them even if it looks stupid. My tolerance for bearing pain to look good is very low. As you can probably tell. I’m just so boring with my style but have no idea how to jazz it up.

I’ve recently been buying some more things that aren’t necessarily my ‘style’ or that I want to attempt to style. Think fur jackets that aren’t just one colour and trousers that have frills at the bottom. Of course, I haven’t worn either of these things yet. That would be too sensible. But at least I have the option, right? I mentioned in my ‘upping my game’ post that I wanted to develop my fashion content until I was completely happy with it, but I never know what to say or how to write them. It always feels like ‘here’s the item. It’s nice. That is all.’ Time to go brush up on my fashion knowledge and read a LOT of fashion posts.

One thing that’s changed with my ideals is coats and jackets – I used to feel like they completely ruined an outfit. Turns out, I was buying all the wrong jackets because now I center my whole outfit around a jacket. I have a few fashion coats, most of which do also keep my warm which is blissful, and some that are just plain for if I’m wearing a jazzy outfit. Which is never. So we’re all good. You may think it’s weird that I’m not really sharing images of these items here, but that’s cos ya girl is planning a LOT of new fashion content. Probably starting with my boot collection because it’s bloody ridiculous.

Taking inspiration from some of my favourite fashion instagrams, I want to learn how to style non-skinny trousers, and out-there blouses as well as alternative ways of styling some of my old favourite basics. I spend too much money on new and current trends, but I want to give re-styling a go. There are some pieces I’ve had for years and shoved at the back of my drawers, some of which I could probably style a LOT better now. I don’t necessarily want to buy or wear things I feel uncomfortable in, but sometimes you have to push your comfort zone boundaries. I’m tired of getting up in the morning and throwing on a pair of jeans that I only feel good in for approximately 3 minutes.

The first time I wore my leopard coat, I was so incredibly worried as that’s a very bold piece for me, but I felt incredible, and I just need to hold onto that feeling and use it to motivate me to work harder at my styling.

Take risks with your fashion, style something differently – if it’s unsuccessful, try again another time. If it works, you’ll feel incredible about yourself.

Do you have any styling tips for this fashion blogger beginner?

shop the post

*contains affiliate links*
Share:

16 Comments

1. 21/01/2018 / 10:18 pm

You wouldn’t say you just joined the fashion bloggers, you look so confident and those outfits are amazing! I can relate to feeling worried about wearing a bold piece though, but sometimes you just have to take that babystep. Hope we get to see more fashion posts!

Larice x || http://hilarice.com

• laurenn_r@ymail.com
      Author
      01/04/2018 / 7:44 pm

Thank you so much! I’m definitely tired of still being safe with my fashion choices, but it’s hard to know where to start!

2. 22/01/2018 / 12:46 pm

I really enjoyed this post! I’m have a familiar feeling this year. I’m trying to only buy clothes I love. I’m using 1960s French films for my inspiration more than Instagram though.

• laurenn_r@ymail.com
      Author
      01/04/2018 / 7:46 pm

Thank you! That is so beautiful, I bet everything you wear is stunning. I need to have a rethink, I think, and start finding inspiration elsewhere!

3. 23/01/2018 / 11:16 am

I feel exactly the same! I’m trying to branch out into more fashion inspired posts because it’s something I follow religiously, but my personal style is so different to the smart and glamorous outfits everyone else wears! Not to mention that the quality of my photos can be a little hit and miss.

My best advice would be dress for yourself and don’t feel like you have to wear an outfit that you think everyone else will love, if you don’t love it yourself. If at any point you feel uncomfortable or like something isn’t working don’t follow through with it. Always trust your gut and hold onto that feeling of feeling incredible because you are!

Rachel // kyvbey.blogspot.com

• laurenn_r@ymail.com
      Author
      01/04/2018 / 7:48 pm

Exactly!! I admire a very particular style but don’t feel brave enough to try it out. I totally feel you on the photos too, sometimes my boyfriend nails it and other times the photos are just a tiny bit out of focus! Great advice that I’ll definitely take on board, I try to make sure I feel good and comfortable in anything I wear because then I’ll look confident!

4. 24/01/2018 / 3:04 pm

Woah, I kinda think you read my mind before writing the post because that’s exactly how I feel. I spend hours on instagram looking at all those differents outfit and style but when it comes the time to shop, I always buy the same neutral colours because I’m too afraid to stand out too much.
    Same thing with jackets and coats.
    But your post gave me a bit of courage and maybe i’ll try out new styles lol.

-Mereh http://nowornevah.blogspot.co.uk/

• laurenn_r@ymail.com
      Author
      01/04/2018 / 7:50 pm

Yup!! I felt so wild when I bought a leopard print coat because it wasn’t black!

• laurenn_r@ymail.com
      Author
      01/04/2018 / 7:52 pm

Minimal thinking goes into those outfits and it’s a shame they’re not typically the most ‘instagrammable’!

5. 28/01/2018 / 2:58 pm

I compleltely agree with you, this year I’m all about finding my style and trying new pieces as well as re styling others as I feel that could be so much fun, but also save us some money! Also you always look gorgeous so flaunt those style you dare to wear! xx

• laurenn_r@ymail.com
      Author
      01/04/2018 / 7:52 pm

Your style is always on point, you’re one of my inspirations!

6. 04/02/2018 / 10:41 am

I’m trying to step out of my comfort zone with my fashion blog posts as well this year. Though I have to say you’re one step ahead of me, my out there pieces are still sat in my wardrobe (mainly because most of them are summer pieces). I have to say though you look really in your element in these photos xx

Sophie’s Spot

• laurenn_r@ymail.com
      Author
      01/04/2018 / 7:59 pm

Mine are definitely still in the wardrobe too, but they’ll get their day in the spotlight! Thank you lovely xx

7. 22/02/2018 / 12:57 am

I have checked your blog and i’ve found some duplicate content, that’s why you don’t rank high in google’s
    search results, but there is a tool that can help you to create
    100% unique content, search for: Boorfe’s tips unlimited content

8. 24/02/2018 / 6:51 am

Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a
    new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have done a outstanding job!