10   262
4   273
21   374
9   322
9   397
12   299
13   363

Behind the instagram: outtakes from Paris

We all know how difficult it is to get that perfect instagram shot, there’s normally around 20 minutes of uhm-ing and ahh-ing at the photos before deciding you need more (much to the enjoyment of your photographer). It’s difficult to remember that everything you see has been meticulously filtered and edited to show the best version of your day – I didn’t spend half an hour in front of the Eiffel Tower to post a photo that makes my nose look 12 sizes larger than it actually is. As much as we all enjoy seeing those perfectly posed (or perfectly candid) shots, there’s something really lovely about being treated to the outtakes: the real giggle with multiple chins and buck teeth and the photos that show how fed up you are of endlessly posing.

It’s easy to forget that everything you see on instagram is, more often than not, staged. As so many bloggers and youtubers have said – instagram is not real life.

We all share our best bits because we don’t want people to know that we’re actually currently sat surrounded by Space Raiders wrappers and the remnants of our halloumi lunch feast; unless you’re a literal flatlay magician, there’s no way to make that look good. I want people to believe I am a glamorous, leopard-print coat wearing holiday-goer who spent way longer than 6 days in Paris. In reality, I spent most of the time looking rather soggy and eating fast food, not dining at authentic restaurants with tiny, overpriced portions. 2018 is my year for being more authentic and sticking true to real life, starting with sharing a lot of the ridiculous photos taken on this trip. Although I’m not one of those Instagram models and none of my photos really portray a glamorous life, I still feel obliged to tell the truth.

“I think we should stand downwind.”

Paris consisted of not so many glam, blogger-style photos and a lot more of the cheesing in the front of the Eiffel Tower because I can’t believe how much this bloody trip cost me kind of photos. Y’know the tourist kind where you just can’t believe you’re standing in front of a super cool landmark.

I did try to get some blogger-esque photos but it just doesn’t feel in my nature to do that; although outfit photos are some of my favourites to shoot, I’m not a natural when it comes down to the hand in the hair, gazing non-chalantly past the camera poses. I suffer from really bad blogger envy when scrolling through everyone else’s photos, I make a mental note to try harder at looking like a blogger (for reference: there is no such thing) and then we start shooting, I get the giggles, and my professionalism goes out the window.

Being unprofessional is fun and usually result in some of my favourite photos, from both my own shoots and other people’s.

I almost hope this post inspires people to do the same thing, because although we can all appreciate a nicely edited shot, there’s something really special about those photos that show the bloggers’ personality. Although I do want to take myself and my blog a lot more seriously this year, that won’t necessarily apply to fashion photos. The thing I really like about my writing, and the thing a few people compliment me on, is how much of my personality shines through, and that’s something I think I could incorporate more into my photos.

My boyfriend, my main photographer, tries to get me to have a bit more fun with it and stop worrying about getting those ‘perfect‘ shots – he’ll say “strike a pose” and wait for me to do something ridiculous; I can always rely on him to get the funny photos that are perfect for this post.

A compilation of me being fed up/angry at people walking in front of my photos.

It’s time to stop taking instagram so seriously.

I do get caught up in trying to have the perfect theme and the perfect poses, and portray my personality through candid captions. But my photos need an update and a refresh, and in 2018 I’m going to care less about how I look in a photo and care more about making sure people know my personality. It’s gonna be a big year for Loulabellerose, I’m feeling more determined than ever.

How are you going to progress in 2018?

The worst photo of me that has ever existed.
Share:

30 Comments

1. Heidi
    07/01/2018 / 11:37 am

Oh my yes! Behind the scenes photos are definitely one of my faves, because it definitely shows the personality. I have seen couple posts like these, but sadly they are usually “hihi I have my eyes closed that’s so funny!”, but they are not that real. But these, oh my god yes. Loving the new layout btw! It’s beautiful!

Heidi ✨ | Heidi’s Planner

01/04/2018 / 7:17 pm

They just have so much character!! I like to show the real ugly shot 😂 thank you lovely!!

2. 07/01/2018 / 12:52 pm

I love this post! I feel like I can’t pull off blogger poses either and sometimes I just act natural and the pictures look amazing. I love goofing around on camera, it’s so much fun when you don’t take Instagram seriously. I’m hoping to improve my photography this year! x

amerzwithlove.com

01/04/2018 / 7:18 pm

The staged ones are always so awful with me, it’s so much more fun and I get much nicer shots when I just mess around!

3. 07/01/2018 / 12:52 pm

Loved this post I couldn’t agree more, I think it’s so boring and mind numbing to be try and come across as perfect all the time, photos like these actually show people who you really are. 🙌🏻 Xx

01/04/2018 / 7:18 pm

Exactly!! I find it weird how you can follow someone on Instagram and have no idea what their teeth look like because they never smile 😂

4. Erin
    07/01/2018 / 1:34 pm

Hahha I LOVED this so so much! Getting the perfect shot is definitely not as easy as you would expect lol

Erin || MakeErinOver

01/04/2018 / 7:19 pm

Thank you! It’s bloody stressful if anything 😂

5. 07/01/2018 / 3:14 pm

Absolutely love this post! It’s so refreshing to hear that someone feels the same way as I do about getting candid, amazing photos. I struggle so much and always end up hating mine! Going to take a leaf out of your book and start not caring so much! p.s your windy hair photo is amazing hahaha.

Julia | http://www.stylewithblondeambition.co.uk

01/04/2018 / 7:20 pm

Thank you so much! I normally only get one good photo in a shoot of about 600, it can be so disheartening sometimes!!

6. 07/01/2018 / 5:43 pm

Omg Lauren I love this so much!! My absolute favourite blog posts to read are those that really show the blogger behind the blog! I can’t wait to see all the photos on Instagram and to get to know you more as a person! 🙂

01/04/2018 / 7:20 pm

Thank you!! I like to feel like I’m bffs with the blogger, and it’s weird not even seeing a smile from them!

7. 07/01/2018 / 11:23 pm

The realness of the photos! I absolutely love it! I always find the real ‘candid’ ones are the most beautiful and get to show who you are as a person.

01/04/2018 / 7:21 pm

Thank you so much! I definitely prefer the accidental ones or the real candid ones as opposed to the staged candid ones!

8. 08/01/2018 / 9:21 pm

Hahah this post made me chuckle. It’s refreshing to see, though! It’s crazy how much time we all put into instagram photos/ blog photos. Might as well step back and laugh at it sometimes, cus it’s all fun anyhow.
    You’re adorable, even in the blooper photos!
    Julia | juliainbluhm.com

01/04/2018 / 7:22 pm

Thanks so much!! I spend too much time analysing my nose in all my photos, it’s so silly!

9. Leah
    08/01/2018 / 9:30 pm

HAHAHA! These are hysterical! I love outtakes- not only are they funny, but they are just so much real and the person’s happiness always shines through!
    xx Leah

01/04/2018 / 7:23 pm

Thank you!! I definitely want to incorporate my personality into my blog as much as possible!

10. 08/01/2018 / 11:39 pm

I’m loving your “real” writing. Love that pic with hair across face.

01/04/2018 / 7:23 pm

Thank you!

11. 09/01/2018 / 12:37 pm

This post is amazing!!! For what it’s worth, you look gorgeous in all these photos 💕
    I do love the curated Instagram feeds, but you’re right, you have to remember that that’s not real life, and I definitely love seeing the more natural photos. I’m trying to be more relaxed with my Instagram this year too, I’m really looking forward to seeing your posts!
    Hels xx

01/04/2018 / 7:23 pm

Thank you so much!! I like to try and keep my feed looking nice but still real, caring less about how big my forehead looks and silly little things like that!

12. 18/01/2018 / 11:09 am

I absolutely adore this post <3 and I think these are some of my favourite photos I have seen! Your personality shines through and I couldn't help but smile scrolling down throughout the post because the photos are so fun and natural and show how hard it can be sometimes to get those perfect shots or what you are looking for.

My best friend Stevie is very much like your boyfriend in that sometimes he'll just try and make me laugh to get a lovely non serious non posy shot and you know what I probably end up loving those photos more than any of the others.

Can't wait to see what you get up to this year both in life and on the blog 🙂

01/04/2018 / 7:36 pm

01/04/2018 / 7:37 pm

That’s absolutely my goal with my photos, I want my personality to show through my blog and Instagram! I can’t thank him enough for being the best photographer, even if he doesn’t take the clearest of shots, he definitely puts me at ease!

13. 21/01/2018 / 12:02 am

LOVE this post! I always get blogger jealousy when I’m scrolling through Instagram (or their posts) and I’m just like but HOW?! I’m crap at flatlays and hate being in front of the camera, so there goes 90% of blog photos hahaha. I’m not even mad. I know none of it is really ‘real’, like you said. I love your outtake post because it’s actually AUTHENTIC! None of this closed-eyes business going on here. Thank fuck. Thank you.

01/04/2018 / 7:42 pm

Thank you!! I’m so bad for it, some days I won’t even open Instagram because the jealousy is too much. I wanna see all the double chins and all the ugly faces, and the REAL ones, not the OMG look at my double chin!!! And you have to zoom all the way in.

14. 16/02/2018 / 12:54 pm

OMG I love this post! I very much enjoy reading about those behind the scenes situations, and your photos are hilarious! x

01/04/2018 / 8:13 pm

Thank you so much!

15. 22/02/2018 / 12:48 pm

I get so caught up with “themes” and matching photos too. It bothers my boyfriend lol