I was originally going to make this a general reflection on 2017 but I thought, y’know what, what’s the point in discussing all the bad things that have happened? I don’t want to look back on the year and feel sad about things, I want to appreciate 2017 for being as good a year as it possibly could have been and the way to do that is not by talking about negatives. So this is a post primarily for all the good things that have happened this year, quite image based so be aware of that!
- Max turned 18 – I’d been waiting AGES for my boyfriend to turn 18 so we could go drinking legally together, and the first month of the year it finally happened! It’s a lot of fun being able to go out with him.
- Started job hunting – January was when I started to properly seriously job hunt and when I took control of my own life a bit more; no more sitting like a doormat accepting that I was bound to retail forever, I knew what I wanted and I was going out to get it.
- I saw a whale – Okay so February wasn’t exactly the most exciting month, but the most exotic animal I’d seen in the wild before that was probably a seal so this was honestly just thrilling.
- Got the Olympus Pen – I finally invested in the blogging camera I’d wanted for months, and I’ve never looked back. I love this camera and the photos it takes have really helped me up my game!
- Chopped all my hair off – This was a big move for me but since doing it, I’ve had the urge to chop it all off again. I never thought I’d suit my hair as short as I chopped it, so moral of the story is just do whatever the hell you want cos it’ll look great.
- London – May saw a family holiday to London, and myself and Max stayed a few days longer to go exploring and do some touristy things. I loved seeing all my London family and it was a lovely holiday.
- Finally met Maria – Maria is the person who inspired me to start a blog and is someone who I look up to; she has achieved a crazy amount in such a short timespan and I find her so inspirational and motivational, so meeting her was CRAZY and hopefully I can go back down for more brunch in 2018.
- Budapest – Max and I went on holiday again in June, this time to Budapest and it was one of the best holidays I’ve ever been on. Neither of us had ever been and the food was so good that both me and my mum make chicken paprikash for dinner sometimes.
- Successful interview – July was when I had the interview for my current job and I was offered the position on the spot, I handed in my notice a few days later and had my last day at the end of July. The whole month was everything I’d been dreaming of and I think I cried in the car on the way home from the interview because I was so happy to finally be out of the hell that is retail.
- Chester – ANOTHER little mini holiday with Max, down to England this time once I’d finished work just to relax before I started my new job. I love spending quality time with him in new places, even if they’re not the most crazy exciting places.
- New job – I started my new job on the 1st of August and it really was the best way to start off the month, I was enjoying it from the start and the change to my general happiness was astounding when I started working in an industry I enjoyed.
- Met Rosie – Another blogger that I met this year is Rosie, and we became so close after that. She’s one of the funniest people I know and she didn’t mind taking a million photos of me as long as I took the same amount of her. (Miss you Rosie x)
- Jodie’s wedding – On the 1st of September, my older cousin and one of my favourite people in the world got married, and I was her bridesmaid. I got to wear a beautiful dress and I did cry during the ceremony but y’know.
- Met my girl gang – More bloggers this month! I flew down to Birmingham to meet the group of girls I’ve become so close with and we had the loveliest weekend, it was very weird meeting these people in real life considering I felt like I already knew them.
- Blogtober – I managed to complete the daily blogging in October challenge this year, and I’m incredibly proud of myself because it wasn’t easy whilst juggling a full time job, but the sense of accomplishment was mad!
- Turned 20 – I turned 20 this year, which I will admit I was quite worried about because 20 sounds so OLD, but I had the loveliest birthday and was even taken to lunch by my colleagues, which was a nice change to nobody caring about me in retail!
- Debenhams event – I was invited to this event in Glasgow and it was easily the most amazing experience of my life, I’d been to maybe 2 events before this and to go along, see their Christmas collections, then have dinner with Patrick Grant was CRAZY. I still can’t believe it.
- More events – In November, I attended 2 more events which still make me really excited. One was for a drink called Aelder, which is lovely mixed with ginger ale, and the other was for the stationery brand Busy B; I LOVED the freebies from this event, which included a personalised 2018 diary that I can’t wait to get stuck into.
- Brought Millie home – November was when we brought home our new puppy after going to see her in October, and since then she has brought so much joy into the house. She’s a little troublemaker and shit-stirrer but it’s lovely having a little fluffy puppy again.
- Blogmas – I did attempt Blogmas throughout December but by the time it got to the 22nd, I was feeling too frazzled and so I missed out on 2 posts. I’m quite annoyed at myself but I did a lot better than I did last year, and I’m proud of myself for that and for trying!
- Shooting with Claire – I did a few shoots with a photographer this month, which was a completely new experience but so much fun! It’s nice not having to tell the person using the camera how to actually take the photo, which is the norm with me.
- Paris – As this post goes live, I will be in Paris with my boyfriend getting ready to celebrate the New Year! This was his Christmas present and I’ve been so excited about it all month that I’m still in denial that it’s real.
Overall, this year has been amazing, especially the last few months of the year and being in my new job and finally being HAPPY. I can’t wait to see what 2018 brings, and I’m hoping it’ll be just as good.
What good things happened to you in 2017?